Eyelid Plastic Surgery: Are You A Good Candidate?
If your eyes make you look older or tired, you may have considered eyelid plastic (oculoplastic) surgery. But, are you a good candidate for this type of surgery?
At our medical office, new patients come in daily for consultations because they don’t like the appearance of their eyes. Many of them are good to excellent candidates for eyelid rejuvenation surgery, especially if they meet certain criteria. The following is a list of characteristics that make someone a good candidate for eyelid plastic surgery:
- Individuals with a positive outlook about the surgery and realistic expectations
- Generally healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that impair healing, like excessive ocular dryness or a history of poor healing with hypertrophic scarring or keloid formation
- Individuals who have excess skin, muscle or fat on the upper or lower eyelids, drooping of the lower eyelids, or bags under the eyes
- Nonsmokers (heal much faster)
- Persons who thoroughly review the preoperative documents/consents and commit to carefully following the postoperative instructions
- People who understand that some asymmetries will persist postoperatively Any person who is considering eyelid plastic surgery should speak to an oculoplastic surgeon about whether or not they are a good candidate for eyelid rejuvenation surgery. An oculoplastic surgeon is first trained, then board certified in ophthalmology, and then has gone on to do extended fellowship training specifically in eyelid plastic surgery. During an oculoplastic consultation, time is set aside to go over an individual’s specific concerns and review the various surgical and nonsurgical options. Before making that final decision, you should feel well informed and have plenty of time to research that decision on your own. Lastly, if you’re not certain of the surgeon’s recommendations, you should not
hesitate to get a second opinion.
If you’d like to book a consultation or a second opinion to discuss whether you’re a good candidate for oculoplastic surgery, call our office. Dr. Scott and the rest of our team here at Eye Plastic Associates will be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding our procedures.